Monday, October 25, 2010

HMV-ĐB - Reflection (Day 1)

Dear family,

It is hard to believe that it has been a week since our Regional Assembly. I used the term assembly on purpose to denote the importance of this year's gathering. I wanted to share while I was still at Streamside, but it was not possible so better late than never.

For me, the journey to our regional assembly started well before Oct. 15. You can say that I was looking forward to "coming home" as soon as the S.E.E.D. retreat ended. I was invited to participate on many of the conference calls leading up the assembly. On most of those calls, I was totally lost and was not able to contribute much other than silent prayers and the spiritual embrace of everyone toiling to come up with a program for everyone. The sheer number of tracks was overwhelming. There were the adult program, the YaYA and teen track, the pre-teen track and the children track. I worried and I prayed. I worried because I am not sure whether we have bitten off more than we can chew with that many tracks given our limited resources. I shared my concern, but mostly I brought it into prayer, loving our brothers and sisters who were toiling away tirelessly preparing the program. I, on the other hand, were helpless, as the main idea of the theme still eluded me. Just about a week before the assembly, the meaning of the theme slowly made sense to me. I learnt much on those calls; not only of the theme, Magis, but of the unconditional love that các anh chị trong ban phục vụ has for our region and for each and everyone of us.
HMV was one of those activities that we looked forward to each year, not only for me, but because it presented an excellent opportunity for our family, children to experience the community but it almost did not happened. The economic situation impacted our family and I am sure it impact many other family as well. Despite our best effort in planning a year in advance setting aside some money for the various Đồng Hành event, last minutes and unexpected expenses were destined to affect our plan to attend HMV as a family. But as recently, I have learned to embraced desolation, not because I am gluten for punishment, but I recognized that it is an opportunity for me to deepen my conversation and relationship with God. I told God that it was really unfair that all our planning was for not. God just asked me, "Do you trust in me?" To which I replied, I place my trust in You but this really suck. You give us wisdom to plan ahead but then you bring the house crashing down on us at the last minute, how were we going to make it to HMV? I experienced such desolation for a few weeks all the while God kept asking whether I trust in Him. It was not until in my prayer that once again, I revisited my salvation history did I recognized that God was demanding my absolute trust. As long as I still place my trust elsewhere, God can't take care of me. Once more, I had to humble myself and place my absolute trust in God. I remembered it was a clear as day the moment I whole hearted commit ourselves into God's hand and trust in His providence; It was early Sunday morning when I received a phone call that was to make the "coming home" trip possible.

After a few days of rain, Friday started out full of promise. The sky was clear and the temperature was warm (relatively), nothing like the weather forecast was calling for. Everyone was calling everyone to see when each are leaving. The anticipation bring me much joy. I have always enjoy long road trip, but I dreaded the drive but anticipation and the longing to see everyone made the drive more bearable. After the long drive, we finally pulled into Streamside Retreat and Camp Center around 5pm just as the weather was deteriorating and fast; We arrived later than what I had hope but still earlier than các anh chị khác who are still on route. I helped out where and whenever I can. Meeting and greeting old faces as well as new faces. There were new faces from Nhóm Tình Thuong. There were many familiar faces from S.E.E.D. as well even though this would be a first HMV for many. I was delighted to see "anh" Hoạt and anh chị Linh Oanh again. In some way, they were instrumental during the first few years of my donghanh involvement. They were like my big brothers and sister.

It was definitely not the first time that we came home to HMV, but I sensed that this was something very special. This was the first HMV after the DHDH2008, at which I was able to witness the new structure of donghanh. At DHDH 2008 was the first time that I became aware and felt empowered of the new assembly structure and I was excited that the structure had finally be here in Dong Bac. I don't know whether everyone was excited as me. I recognized its important and started to feel desolated for các anh chị who because of their commitment to the various track will not be able to fully immersed in this new structure, so I prayed. I prayed not change anything but to embrace các anh chị đó in my heart during the weekend. I prayed so that I can help bring home to our local community a sense of empowerment that this new structure will provide. I prayed also that I be humbled and let go of my idea of a perfect HMV would be so that I can embrace the power of the Holy Spirit working among us, whatever the format. I received a lot of graces during the opening mass as well. From the helter skelter preparation of the mass, I received consolation that everyone was gathering to give thanks. When Cha Hùng raised the "chén cơm" that we used in place of a proper chalice, in that instance I felt God's presence. Despite our inadequacy, God choose to be there with us. I felt at peace.

Taize was a wonderful event to start the HMV and to end the first day. My oldest daughter wanted to attended. In all honesty, I thought she would not like it. I was wrong. I was so moved when I glanced over and in the dimly lit room, I saw that she was totally "into" it. Her eyes were closed and to my amazement she was chanting the chant or humming along. A sense of peace just washed over me. I wanted her to experience the mystical God and to deepen her relationship and I saw and felt it during those moments. Thank you cô Châu.
End of day 1....

Khánh
(Hy Vọng)

No comments:

Post a Comment