Saturday, August 28, 2010

SEED Đông Bắc 2010 - Day 1

Chào cả nhà,

We have just finish day 1 of S.E.E.D. 2010 in Northeast. Sitting here in the stillness of the night and reflecting back the events in the day, it is hard not feel humble and in awe.

The day started out filled with expectation and anxiety. People north and south, from Virginia to New Jersey, to Pennsylvania to Connecticut to Massachusetts, young and old, we were all embarking. Thu was reporting that cac anh chi tren Massachusetts headed out around 10am, then the retreat leaders from New Jersey headed north, then Virginians got underway around 11am. We were all embarking and making our way to the SEED retreat.

By 4:30pm, almost everyone had arrived safely. Everyone was commenting on how beautiful the place was. It was made more beautiful by the presence of God's children. Young and old, first timers meeting the old timers (only their second trip to SEED.) After settling in, we had dinner. We were officially welcome by the administrator of camp then the program got started.


"Pharaoh, Pharaoh...." rang out from the stage. A familiar tune for people attended last year's SEED. Everyone had a great time. The opening skit by the leaders introduced the theme of "Jesus is my best friend".


The "trust walk" was familiar to some adults but were all new to the children and some of the parents who were helping out. This year, the parents got to enjoy what the children have with their own retreat in parallel in theme with the children. It was incredible to see how the parents are really embracing their own program. How the parents gently leading the children thru each station of the game.

The parents too were treated to a few games of their own. There were the name games and the square game, where each were invited to forget themselves and think of other, because only thru the giving up of oneself and putting the needs of other ahead of yours that you can finish the game.

There were lots of time for fellowship too, there was the donut treat in the evening, where the children and the adults got to decorate their own donut.

The day ended with the retreat leaders and the parent leaders sat down to check-in and share where they are after a long day. Feeling of gratitude, peace, trusting were expressed.

Personally, I feel at peace with everything. As I shared before, thru out the whole journey, God had continually invited me to give up my preconceived ideas and my own plan and trusting God, it was the same today. I started out the day printing everything that I thought I would need for today and putting them on the table. Well, as God will it, I left everything at home. When anh Van called to check whether I have the room assignment, that was when I realized I have nothing. It was at that moment that I become aware that God is again asking me to trust in His providence. All the careful planning of the schedule too were nullified because when we arrived, everything has to be changed slightly because of the meal time. Not only me, but it seems all the parents and all the retreat leaders were okay with the changes and we just adjust accordingly.

I feel truly blessed, not only for the opportunity to be here but all the people staying behind and praying for us and caring for us. How do I know? An 8 o'clock ringing of the doorbell from Chu Long dropping off the S.E.E.D. banner. Phone calls from my wife after each hour to see where we were; a phone call from Chu Long around 3:30pm to see where we were. An email from Tien to wish us a safe trip. A few months ago, we started to push the idea of a community on mission, well, I am seeing the result today and it is so empowering.

Dear God, embrace our children and our family (near and far) in your heart and bless each and everyone of us. Please continue to watch over tonight as we rest and that we will have the energy necessary for all the wonderful program that have prepared for us.

It is getting late, so I am going to sign off to get some rest. I know they have internet here and I will send this out the first thing in the morning.

Good night,
Kha'nh and the S.E.E.D. family




Retreat Leaders looking for inspirations

"The kids are loving it, the parents are loving it,
the retreat leaders are loving it. God is good!"
WWW.twitter.com/nambambigelow

2 comments:

  1. Wow! The 1st day, beginning, already sounded fruitfull with care, love, and inspiration.
    SEED Dong Bac was in my special prayer during Mass this morning.
    Hearing some sharing and looking at the pictures reminded me of happy faces of all SEED retreatants, leaders, and parents
    at Trung Tay SEED last July.
    Gia dinh Dong Hanh Trung Tay xin tiep tuc huong long ve
    va cau chuc cac em , cac anh chi leaders, va phu huynh tiep tuc gat hai duoc nhieu an sung cua Thanh Than Chua trong suot thoi gian con lai cua khoa.

    Thank you for the nice early sharing,
    GiaDinh Dong Hanh TrungTay

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is awesome! I see the vitality of our Church in the face of the leaders and the children.
    I continue to pray for the retreat, for the continuing burning of the Holy Spirit fire in each of the SEED participants.

    Mong-Hang (Trung Tay)

    ReplyDelete