Monday, January 7, 2013

Comigo conference 2012 reflection

By Phuong Tran

This is my second attempt to write up a reflection for this conference. On this second attempt, I prayed to God to open up my heart so that I could write with my genuine feelings. Hopefully, for those who read this could experience the same feelings that went through me during the conference.

Day 1: Friday, December 28th 2012
I left the house at around 12pm to run some errands, grab some foods for lunch, and then headed to LAX airport with Tammy (my co-coordinator) to pick up Chi Nhu Lien and Anh Liem . We also got some extra foods for Anh Chi as well. I had a lot of worries when I was on the way picking up cac Anh Chi. I was worry whether I’d get there safely because my car that day was a bit strange—it was a bit shaky. I was also worry if Anh Chi would be okay with the foods. I was worry if I could find cac Anh Chi easily or would their flights be delay. All the worries were in vain after I spoke to God in prayers on the drive there. I told him “God, I’ve something really important that I need to be there today. It’s really up to you to do the work. These worries are about to drive me nuts. So please take care of me as well as those who will be travel with me today.” We were safely arrived home even with one of my cracked tires (that I didn’t find out until the day after). Anh Chi loved the foods. Tammy and I found both of Chi Nhu Lien and Anh Liem. AND last but not least, there were not delay in both of their flights. They both arrived safely and on time like planned. They both were so down to earth, so joyful, and so humble. The ride home was “eventful” as Anh Lien said, but it was a good ride home with good companies.

We arrived at Chi Thanh Dung’s and Anh Trung’s home at around 4:45pm. The VERY FIRST FEELING was I felt at home. As we walked in, everyone was surprisingly welcoming. I would not be surprised if others Anh Chi were welcoming Chi Nhu Lien and Anh Liem, but for people I only met for the first time, they treated me as though I’d met them numerous times before. I felt like I was away for college and came back home for a short visit. It just felt right.

We started the first session after dinner, we were checking in to see how we felt at the moment. My sharing was that I wasn’t happy to receive the invitation email from Chi Kim Anh. In fact, I was teasing my co-coordinator whom received the email before I did. I was hesitating from registering for this event. I finally signed up. After I registered, I discerned about this decision. During my discernment, I felt scare because I’d meet people who with high authority in DH-CLC for the very first time. I wasn’t sure if I would feel belong there. However, at the same times, I was excited to witness cac Anh Chi in actions. I was curious as of who they could be, how they could be, and how they would be at work. So I wrapped up my sharing and said “I think my heart is at the right place.”

I also notice a few Anh Chi mentioned how happy they were to see the young faces—Bethany, Frank, Thu, Tammy, and me—at the meeting. I think at this point, I was no longer felt unfamiliar with cac Anh Chi anymore because they sounded so genuine. I felt somewhat important too even though I had not done anything as great as cac Anh Chi yet.

I got home at around 11pm. I was literally dragging myself to bed. I was so tired but also somewhat was looking forward to tomorrow.

Day 2: Saturday December 29th 2012
It was so difficult to wake up in the morning. I wondered to myself “why did I even register?” but the second thought came “there must be a real good reason for why God is making all of this happens.” So I prayed that this conference would be as fruitful as God had planned.

I arrived at Blessed of Sacrament in Westminster at around 8:45am.

The weather was really cold and it was raining. The heater in the conference room was broken yet cac Anh Chi still went on with their schedule. There were a lot of laughters in midst of seriousness. We had Pho Ga for breakfast. Because of the rain, we couldn’t go out to eat. So for Lunch, we had Pho Ga again which was perfect for the rainy weather. However, Cac Anh Chi were so humble and did not complained BUT received and ate the foods happily. The part that I loved the most was seeing how cac AC always teased one another and cracked lot of jokes to make the mood lighter for themselves as well as the younger ones. They were so enthusiastic that made me wondered “man, how did they managed to wake up so early and stayed so alive throughout all this?” That gave me a sense of motivation.

Today, we also talked about the realities of DH, there were so many graces along with negativities. Through what I saw, it seemed graces were the motivations for why cac AC gathered today. I felt even more blessed to be here.

By afternoon, my brain was pretty much half off because of so much information to absorb. However, cac AC didn’t seem tired at all but continue talks after talks, sessions after sessions, and that was what I admired the most. I wondered to myself “how do cac AC do all this hard work and never seem to complain?” The lesson I was learnt was LOVE. It was LOVE that gave them the energy. It was also the one mission God gave us: DO everything through LOVE. I supposed that what kept cac AC could continue on for years.

I genuinely felt thankful. (I would ended here for today because I left the meeting at 4pm for a personal reason.)

On a different notes, when I reflected about today, I felt that there were some very real struggles, but I thought to myself “ if there’s an awareness, then there’ll be a solutions to all of that struggles.”

Sunday December 30th 2012
Today, we supposed to come up with proposals. There were three areas of the proposal that we covered today: objective, guiding principle, and strategies. I went to join with YaYA groups and ministry topic. My group consisted of Chi Tuyen, Anh Thai Son, Chi Phuong Ha, and me. Throughout the process to come up with everything above, I could tell how much cac AC truly and genuinely care for the young adults groups in DH or not yet declare as part of DH. Even the groups that refused to be part of DH, they were truly in cac AC’s thoughts and concerns about the groups’ well-being. As a coordinator, I felt it’d be important to let the individual in groups know this sincerity.

The proposal of YaYA was not YET completed but it sure would embark a whole new journey ahead. Every single input from cac AC to improve the proposal was taken into a lot of considerations. It was truly a beautiful process to see when everyone’s concerns, opinions, and ideas were put together to make a master piece. I strongly prayed and hoped this master piece (YaYA topic) could be carry out in actions. Through cac AC’s presences today, I truly felt and knew that God would do his works when he see the common desires and dreams that we each shared.

By the end of the night, I was surprised how much energy cac AC still had left. A Liem still was very much energetic and so does Chi Thanh Dung, Chi Kim Yen, Lan Huong, A An, and other AC. At this very late hour, around 10pm-ish, we were being very silly as we wrapped up and rested before we went home. We were singing, eating, joking, teasing each other, and recording a happy birthday song to MinhThu, etc. At this point, I truly felt even more at home than ever. I felt like I got a weekend getaway with my blood-related family members rather than a leadership conference/ summit. Their humbleness, generosity, love, silliness, and caring were truly felt. I love you, Cac Anh Chi!!!

One thing that touched me the most before I went home was when Bac An came up to me and said “thank you for joining us here. Each of you (referring to the young adults at the conference) has a special place in our hearts.” That made I wanted to tear up. To knew how much cac AC truly cared for us, I was moved.

After this conference ended, I thought a lot of the struggles might not be resolve in day one or two, but it should improve. That what I was strongly believed, am believed, and will believed. As I said bye and gave cac AC hugs before I left for the night, I felt goodbyes were near. Part of me was so sad, but I knew this would not be the last time we met. There would be more and much more wonderful ones to come.

Last day: Monday, December 31st 2012
I was not able to make it half of the day due to a very special family outing. However, I was able to join cac AC for the New Year eve dinner. Now that I grew older, I truly understood what it meant to celebrate special holidays with special people who have such special hearts. It just made the holidays even more special and more meaningful. We ate together, and laughed together. And YES, there were more teasing and making-fun of each other. Before I left, cac Anh Chi were singing, playing instruments, and being with one another. It was a heart-felt moment. I could see how much they enjoyed each other’s presences. There was also tears because of some had to leave. Part of me didn’t want this conference to end, but part of me knew cac Anh Chi had to go home. L

Last but not least, I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who were at the conference. Thank you for having all the young faces especially me, who don’t have any experiences or any real contributions, to be part of this wonderful journey. I don’t know what God has planned for us in the future, but whatever that may be; I know it’ll be great. Again, thank you for treating me like your blood-related family member. For that, I’m truly blessed and thankful.

God is GOOD! :D

Phuong Tran

No comments:

Post a Comment