Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ignatian pilgrimage and WYD - Hoàng Dung's Journal (3)

Aug 10
1:54 am
Monserrat day

Today, we slept in till 10:30am! Ah, so nice, then caught the train to Monserrat. It was about a 15min ride. But we got off at the wrong bus station so we waited another 20mins until another train came by. We got off at one station back. Walked to another train station and caught that one to the camerella train that takes us up the mountain to Monserrat. It was a beautiful amazing ride, in the side of the mt. When we got up there, the sight was glorious. Amazing. The formation of the rocks were very specific to Monserrat. So neat. we got to visit virgin mary of monserrat chapel. And after waiting in line for 25 mins about, we finally climbed into this small stairway up to where the Black Madonna, Virgin Mary of Monserrat sat, high up above the alter. We got to touch her hand. And say a quick prayer bc there were so many pple waiting. After a long time praying in the chapel behind the madonna, we went inside the church see. There'd were a couple of paintings that touched my heart, but one in particular, Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus right after he as born, going on the donkey, away from Bethlehem. Mary was holding her baby Jesus so precious and full of love. There was an angel right next to here and there were a row of angels coming frm heaven there to protect them. Such a Beautiful image.
We hiked all the way down a lonnnng windey pathway to the cave where st ignatius prayed for f3 days. It was already 7:30pm? We celebrated mass there but had to climb around the abet bc it was closed. It was a beautiful mass and the scene was glorious. The way back up the pathway was tough b.c the uphill was long....others went bf us...but by the time we reached the beginning of the path, Cha said there were no more trains going down, it ws closed.
Tuan anh was joking earlier that day that he could race st. Ignatius from monserrat to manresa but who knew that that joke would come true??


Oh man, so, we had to hike ourselves down the mt and try to catch the last train at 11:45 pm. When we started it was 9:45pm. The sign said it would take 1.5 hrs to get to the train. That is, if we don't get lost or hurt along the way. Luckily, we had 3flashlight, and a couple of phones had flashlights too. So, after ingesting some energy beans from Cha, we started our journey down hll, looking for the sign, a flag of blue,red whit color I believe. Cha Tri, 3 guys, 4 gurls. Some had tennis shoes on, some had sandals. The path was okay at first. There were a lot of loose rocks along the way and we had to sit to climb down a lot. Halfway, we started climbing down these really steep rocks...then Cha realized we wen the wrong way. It was about 45mins at that time. And very dark if not for oure tiny flashlights.
I started praying to God to plese, guide us on the right path, keep us all safe! A few of us slipped a few times, rolled our ankles a few times including me once, got scratched by thorn trees. We had to be very careful where we stepped a lot bc of the loose rocks, so esy to slip. And since we were on the edge of mt, we'd have to be aware and lean into the mt. We all helped each other, the front warning the back what to expect, a steep rock, loose gravel, tree thorns, or watch our heads. The guys were very manly and helped us girls great. We girls were tough, brave and did a really good job braving the situation. Just kept going. Sometimes, it seems impossible or hard, but with words of encouragement from Minh or Son, I was able to just swallow any fear and go. During one part, we had to get down and dirty, just slide down the path b.c it was just too steep and rocky. I saw dust fly in my light path and I could taste the dirt. All my days of acheness of my thighs I guess was preparing me for tonight, building my muscles for tonight. The attitude of the group was great. We worked together, stayed together and kept a positive atmosphere. It seemed forever. By the time we reached the end of the mt, to flat land, it was 11:35pm. We didn't even know where the train station was. W started all running down the street towards the area where the train could be. W saw some signs when we got down to the main street and ran some more. Oh man, by that time, I know we were all tired! But we had to keep going. We just cannot miss this train and walk another 3-4 hrs to Manresa. We just could not! At the intersection, TS happen to see a boy riding his bike, sked him where the train statn was and pointed us over the bridge and up the hill. So, we started running. Fast and hard. At that point, I said aloud, Cha, we cant make it. We're gonna miss the train. It was 10:44pm W just can't make it!8 of us! But, we kept at it to the best of our ability. A I was running up that last hill, oh man, my heart was beating so fast, I was out of breath, could not breath. I had to stop and walk but as I rounded the curve up hill, I saw the train station. I ran again. I heard a train either arrive or leave as I was running upo the hill as I looked at the train tracks when I reached the top, I didn't see any trains but as we hurriedly placed our tickets thru the machine, we saw tw o trains. And I saw the time. 10:44 pm. Yes. Thank you lord!!, we have to hurry ore the train will leave!there's no way the train will wait for us! No way. We have to hurry! I ws behind TS but he didn't have his ticket, so I pushed him right thru with mine. Immediate, the security guy said no no, and made me go out again to do mine. By that time,everyone had gone thru except for Julie. I was like, Julie, where's ur ticket? Take it out! She said, Minh has my backpack!! Oh my gosh!! So, i went thru and yelled for Minh, yelled and yelled until he heard and he ran all the way back...down stairs, across underneath, up the stairs and all the way to the station to give Julie her ticket. A that time it was way past 10:45. But I guess tuan anh talked to the conductor bc they waited. Oh. My goodness. We ran as fast as we could down the stairs, across, and up. Luc do, I could barely muster up any more strength to run u pthe stairs. I know all of us were out of breath and just running on adrenaline. As I was bout to board the train, Julie and Minh made it. We all found a seat and sat in disbelief. Utter shock. Amazed. We made it. We are on the train. We made it. We survived. All that running when we got onto the street, running down the street, running across the bridge, running UP that steep long hill, and rushing thru the stall, it counted. It truly counted. If we walked for we were already so tired from hiking down, if we walked up that last hill, we would have missed the train. Praise the lord. Cha was proud of us all for having such good energy, attitudes, and we did it!! A memory never to forget. nEVER. nUNCA.
We ate fruit on the train and just were so thankful.
We got off one too early and walked another 15mins home but at the steps of our hotel, we sat, grateful and thankful. Ate sandwiches and cheese and water!!! 12:30am.
We shared what remained in our hearts. For me, I was so so so grateful and in awe that we made it, at god truly does take care of us, that we must trust and never give up! Even when we think we have no more strength or that it's just impossible! Many of us said Trust. Julie said she I'll ever ever doubt anything again. I'm so thankful that none of us got hurt. We got lost once but we found our way again. And god sent us an angel thru that boy to point us in the right direction towards the train station.
Lord, again, thank you SO much my God. Thank you. For keeping us safe and letting everything be as it was. Every little second, minute.....I
Every intricate happening. Thank you god. For sure we will feel the result of today tmw morning as we get out of bed. My legs are already so sore, exp my thighs from all that squatting, my calfs, but I am thankful.
Gn. Sooooooo tired.

Traveler of god in Grace.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment