Monday, November 1, 2010

Rolheiser: Subtle Forms of Idolatry

In my more reflective moments, I am sometimes forced to ask myself: Am I really interested in God or am I only interested in things about God? Am I more interested in teaching, speaking, and writing about God than I am in actually meeting God, one to one, in prayer and silence? Am I more interested in dealing with things about God and religion than I am in being hidden and silent in God's presence?

The answers to those questions should be easier and more obvious than they are. On the surface, clearly, it would seem that I am interested in God: I try to pray regularly. I'm a priest who celebrates the Eucharist daily. I'm a theologian and writer who speaks and writes about God all the time. My entire life is spent dealing with the things of God; but, all of that notwithstanding, God isn't necessarily the actual focus of these activities. The focus can easily be elsewhere.
. . .
Read more ››

No comments:

Post a Comment