Tuesday, July 3, 2012

SEED Leader Training Reflection​s

June 15-17, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA, USA

▪ ▪ ▪

Paula Hoang:

1)      What were the graces received?
I learned about myself a lot more and now know what I need to work on/continue to do. I've also learned to be a lot more accepting and flexible!
2)      How was God present at the training weekend?  How was He moving among the attendants?
He brought us all here with such great spirits. We gave us all energy to learn and put our all into the activities that we do. Either that or He gave the leaders the wisdom to get us moving.
3)      How was my heart moved?  How was God speaking to me with all the activities?
He told me to be more aware and understanding of not only others but also myself and how I work with other people.
4)      What is God’s invitation for me during and after the training?
 I am not so sure. Maybe just take away something from every activity and not to forget, but continue to work on my weaknesses.
5)      What remains in my heart?
 I'm still stuck on the personality test and the listening activity. I really have to work on accepting people for who they are instead of complaining they're unreasonable or something of the sort. For the listening activity, it really helped. The Dos and Don'ts really let me look into what I did and didn't do, so it was nice to reflect on that and now, I can actively change my own habits because I know what I do and don't do.
Thanks for everything! :] This pass weekend was really great! I loved growing closer and working with everyone. Everyone is just so amazing!

▪ ▪ ▪
Vianney Truong:

I had a great weekend learning, interacting, bonding, and experiencing SEED training! I had a lot of fun and especially liked meeting old SEED leaders I so greatly admired as a SEEDling in the past. I also enjoyed meeting the new SEED leaders of Hat Cai and experienced the wonderful friendship and openness of everyone present. This SEED training reminded me of the wonderful impact SEED has on kids, SEED leaders, and the community (Dong Hanh) as a whole. As a SEEDling that has experienced SEED retreat, I feel so blessed to participate in this wonderful ministry! From this training, I took away a desire to serve others in my upcoming role as CLC coordinator at Creighton University. I also came away with a profound appreciation for SEED retreat leaders and the tremendous care and love they put into helping kids.
Sincerely,Vianney Truong from nhom J-Walkers

▪ ▪ ▪



Jennifer Bui:

Hi! Here's what i thought of this past weekend:
1)      What were the graces received?
         I feel that this past weekend was something really needed not only to train as a S.E.E.D. Leader, but also something I spiritually needed. I felt that I learned and walked out with the graces that I don't know how to really describe. I walked out feeling more "empowered" if that makes sense. But, overall, I really learned what kind of person I am, what kind of leader I am, and I want to use that to benefit the retreat planning as well as just becoming a better person in general.
2)      How was God present at the training weekend?  How was He moving among the attendants?
        I feel that God's presence was definitely there this past weekend. It was there especially among the leaders who lead the formations because they so passionately told us their experiences, what they learned, how they would handle the situation later on, and extending that knowledge onto us attendees. I really liked how what we did all ties back to God. Not once did in any sort of presentation did theleaders forget to mention God, his importance, and just his everyday presence in our lives. It was a good refresher because sometimes, we are so busy with our lives, this is a small reminder of how God is everywhere and present within every single one of us.
       He was present among us attendees because we all came with a purpose: to learn. Either it be to learn more about ourselves, to learn more about becoming a S.E.E.D. leader or even just a leader in general. He showed it among every attendee I saw because they were all open minded and ready to learn something new and beneficial to their lives.
3)      How was my heart moved?  How was God speaking to me with all the activities?
       I was so wowed away by everyone's passion, love, and commitment to this ministry. I could feel that they really enjoyed their time with S.E.E.D. and that they wanted to share the love for that ministry onto other people. Through the different activities, I could see that God has blessed this group with many different groups and many different talents that allows us to empower each other and to work alongside with each other.
4)      What is God’s invitation for me during and after the training?
        I feel that God wants me to find a deeper meaning in my faith and to see how I can use what I learned to serve him.
5)      What remains in my heart?
       I feel that I came out with lots of joy, happiness, and a better understanding for what S.E.E.D is all about. I feel like I have this passion in me that is ready to show to the world. I feel that this weekend was definitely needed in just explaining to some of the newbies what S.E.E.D. is all about, what it takes to be a S.E.E.D. leader and the amount of time, planning, and love it has within the ministry.

▪ ▪ ▪
Brian Bui:

The SEED Formation was an amazing experience for me.  SEED is an amazing retreat for children and teenagers to strengthen their faith and learn more about the catholic faith. I am happy to receive God’s graces during this formation. I believe the greatest gift I received is the gift of knowledge.  Knowledge, because through this formation I have a clearer view what God’s purpose for me is. The other grace I received is the gift of understanding. Once we become convinced through understanding of the truths of our faith, we can also draw conclusions from those truths and arrive at a further understanding of our own relation to God and his role in the world. God moved in my heart to help others. I believe that service is very important. I believe God wants me to serve others, to give back to my community. Words cannot describe how thankful I am to Hat Cai and the parents in Dong Hanh. Your generosity and kindness is unending.  I can’t thank-you enough for offering your homes, cooking us wonderful food, support and the prayers. I hope in the future I can meet more of the outstanding Dong Hanh members. This formation has been an eye opener for me it was very enjoyable.
God bless,

▪ ▪ ▪
Vincent Truong:

SEED leadership training weekend reflection
 A couple of weeks ago, my dad asked my brother and me if we wanted to go to a SEED leadership training. My first response was "sure." But as the date neared, I began to ask myself, "What am I going to do there? What would I really learn?" My answer and more would be given in the weekend to come.

On Friday evening, I arrived to a warm welcome, many new faces, few recognizable ones, and most importantly, the sound of meat sizzling on the grill. What followed was a weekend filled with teachings on the methods and planning that goes into creating a retreat for kids and teens. Being a nurtured SEED myself, I was getting a look at the underbelly and all the hard work put into the process. That was the first grace I saw in the anh chi. Not only their love for cac em but their willingness to put their love into action really drew me into looking up to all of the Hat Cai. The methods, the technique, the slideshows, the skits, the games were accumulations of trial-and-errors and persistence. Their desire to help out kids was really contagious and I could feel it building inside me. As a SEEDling, I could feel that energy and love brought out through their actions. Honestly, their lectures do not have a strong impact as their actions, which I remember, and their energy and their love.

The second grace that I felt was discipleship. One of the recurring motifs or themes was to "reinforce, not teach." The SEED retreat was meant to allow teens and kids to re-examine what they already know and to reinforce those points maybe through new types of prayers or different environments. SEED is not a classroom where there is a teacher and students but more of a open space where we try to find the things we have know once but forgotten. This is something that I have felt all of these years of going to SEED retreat. Although truthfully, I went to the retreat to see my friends all the way in Arizona and in Orange County, but I was always felt more alive than I would when seeing friends. That energy came from being able to know more about myself and because my faith and my belief in God's love came in shaky or forgotten and came out stronger than before.

The final grace was the amount of people I saw at the leadership training. There were so many, and not only that, my brother and I had the grace to join without being Hat Cai. As the SEED retreat extends across the nation (even beyond to Canada) the harvest becomes plenty and the laborers few. The extended hand for my brother and I to join this leadership training was a clear point of expansion. SEED retreat is growing on its own and is requiring more laborers and thinkers. I look forward to see this SEED blossom with many, not only Hat Cai, nurturing its growth.
 All in all, this retreat is to get all members—parents, leaders, retreatants, helpers---closer to the one God who loves us all. So only by his grace and desire will this retreat to allow kids to grow in an environment where they are the temples of Christ. I pray for the safe growth of this ministry to strengthen the faith of the next generation.

▪ ▪ ▪
Christopher Tran:

In the past weekend, I attended the SEED Leader Training and I enjoyed it very much.  I felt a renewal in my faith and my purpose as one of God’s stewards.  Coming into the training, there were many worries and troubles that ran through my mind.  I had conflicts with a youth group at my church and I had some family issues to care for, so I was not at ease coming into the training.  I was not sure why I decided to lead future SEED retreats so the thought of spending time in training for something I was unsure of made me uneasy.

To my pleasure, I am extremely grateful I chose to attend the training.  First off, the generosity of the Dong Hanh members in providing delicious food and a homey home really moved me.  I felt like I was going on a mini, no-expense, God-filled vacation!  What made the weekend even nicer was the fact that I got to meet a lot of new people.  I was surprised to see people from Los Angeles, Arizona, and Canada, and it was eye-opening for me to see alumnis from Hat Cai.  I began to see that Hat Cai was a puzzle piece to a bigger picture when I learned more about the SEED Retreat and its national prominence.  As a member of Hat Cai, I learned about the group’s greater involvement outside of the UCI community.  During the weekend, everyone’s kindness and welcoming attitude helped relieve my outside troubles and thoughts.  I was happy to focus on learning skills and characteristics about being a SEED Leader.  Seeing that so many people still choose to attend training weekends really gives me hope about the future and how there will never be an absence of genuine people who still choose to serve God.

What I liked about this training weekend was how it was focused more on living a certain way of life that God calls us to live rather than just being a workshop on skills of how to lead a group.  I liked how the planners answered a lot of my questions because I was extremely curious about the SEED Retreats.  In seeing how many people loved helping SEED and seeing how many people choose to grow and improve themselves, I believed that it was God’s doing throughout the weekend.  The many activities and laughter under the name of God helped me strengthen the idea that faith is not dead.  With each passing talk, I learned more and more about the ministry and I also picked up new skills for leading retreats both at future SEED Retreats and at my home parish.
 Towards the end of the weekend, I felt a closer bond towards God.  I felt a sense of gratitude that I can never repay God.  From the generosity of Dong Hanh, to the dedication and effort of the planners, and to the kindness of everyone around me, I truly saw God’s active presence and love for me as one of His children.  I felt empowered to always continue serving God in whatever ways I can.  What will always in my heart is one truth I have experienced time in and time out: the more I choose to know God, serve God, and love God, the more I begin to see that God has plans for me bigger than I can ever dream.  In this case, I believe that he wants me to serve others through SEED Retreats, and I trust in Him that I am where I am supposed to be.

▪ ▪ ▪
Lê Minh Nhât, SEED Leader:
Dong Hanh Canada

“ Thank you God, for everything You gave me : all these wonderful people who supported me theses years, my family, my friends, my communities, even those who still hope in the Lord. “
1 year before, I was at SEED in Poccono, PA.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PeDGtsrPBR0vtWGmcwFObPjtIIPIpPSPD7DOS9Y_V1c/edit
“ Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.”
- James 1:12
Amazing, but truly, my faith got “boost” more than ever since then. But above all, I got the chance to live God’s love and can understand it now. My crown, is my faith God brought to the next level.

[2 weeks before SEED leader training]
Nhu Liên : Hey Nhât, do you want to go to the SEED leader training, in California?
Me : SEED!? Leader training? California?!
She just got the good words to makes me go, even if it’s last minute! Huge thanks for DH, cô Nhu Liên and Anh Thu who contributed a lot to this wonderful travel. They were able to pick up the last ticket available.
Get rid of your of worries. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
- 1 Peter 5:7

[Friday]
Airport, somewhere at the gate, I was reading a Catholic newspaper (Famille Marie-Jeunesse) with my coffee. Suddenly, the testimonials inside teased me A LOT, and I got more willing to come back with a whole new gift from California!
"Good leaders love to teach, but greatest leaders teach the love."
- Minh Nhat Le (yeah, it’s me! :) )
LA, here I am! :D Man, I got stuck in the traffic... but had the chance to talk with this amazing guy, Frank, who took the time to pick me up at the airport.
The greatest gift you can give to someone is your time, because when you are giving someone your time; you are giving them a portion of your life, that will never get back.
When I came to the house, I really felt the sense of being at home. Even if I never met most of the leaders, I just feel that they are children of God, like you & me, who take care of each other.
“Childs are like seed. They need someone to take care of them, to give them light, so they can grow.”
Leaders : Why are you all here? (we were asked to present ourself to others)
Me : I believe youth can change the world. They just need something, like a retreat, to fulfill their faith and their relationship with God. I don’t have expectations for this weekend, I just let God guide me! :)
“ I have faith that God is living out a divine plan through me. Have faith in God. ”
- Mark 11:22
At the dinner time, I got the chance to talk with Chris. I don’t remember a lot about the conversation, but I still remember that moment.
Me : I consider myself like a priest in my head, but I’m a child in my heart! :)
Chris : It is interesting how you see yourself.
Which mean, God has blessed me with his wisdom ; to be able to think deeper & meaningful, and blessed me to be humble & childlike (simple, easy, open heart).
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
- 1 Timothy 4:12

[Saturday]
Lots of workshop & activities are coming today! How excited! :D
We did a...what it is call again? Kind of “find something somewhere and take a picture with it”. It was brutally fun, and lots of smiles were here.
Most smiles are started by another smile.
- Frank Howard Clark
Thu held a personality workshop, which distinguishes 4 types of people : driver, analytic, expressive and amiable. Hahaha! We were only 3 expressive among 20 others. Anyways, in our world, we need all of them, because everyone one is born with weakness. But it’s with these weaknesses that we can rely on God and other people to work and live together. Complete each other to be one big family! :)
Each person you meet is Jesus in disguise.
- Mother Teresa
Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every individual makes a difference.
- Jane Goodall
Dessert contest! Miammmm! ^-^
Each team must make a tasty dessert with a meaning. My team decided to make a house with candies and Pop-Tarts. Greatly, each one used their talent to bring something amazing. Would you do it for God?
Children's talent to endure stems from their ignorance of alternatives.
- Maya Angelou
While girls are building the house, me and the other guys were thinking about the idea and the poster. Finally, we found it.
Me : Sometimes, in our life, we focus too much about materialism (money, power, etc...), which can makes us being blind. When we fall down, theses things won’t take care of you. But God himself, your family, your friends, your community, your real home, they all gonna take care of you because they love you. When you believe in your own roots, your life will get much more deepness and meaning.
He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.
- Lk 6 : 48
At the supper, I just found out something I didn’t notice, while talking with Diana.
Diana : Hey Nhat! How old are you?
Me : I’m 22.
Diana : 22? I thought you were older.
Me : How come?
Diana : You look more mature.
At that moment, I was thinking.
1 year just pass, and I saw the big difference since then. What could influence it?
Inspirational Bible quotes? Christian music? Retreats? TNTT? Dong Hanh?
Or maybe...an interior calling?
Get God’s plan before making your own plans.

[Sunday]
7 hours until I fly away, right after mass.
Jonathan & Kevin decided to bring me to Chris’ house, so I could enjoy riding a bike and admiring the beautiful Californian beach. Man, Chris’ house is amazingly beautiful and big!
Me : Hey Chris! I remember your talk during the training. Really nice! I’ve been to a conference about creativity. They made a little contest, each team have a specific group of age. Each team has 20 minutes to build the highest tower possible with marshmallows and sticks. Guess who won and who failed?
Chris : Well, the young won?
Me : Kind of. Kindergarten child won.
Chris : Wow. So I guess the older people lost?
Me : Nope. Recent business graduate students.
Chris : Nice!
Me : Reason is simple. Kindergarten child are pure and innocent. They just play around the stuffs and have a lot of fun doing it. “Hey, can you give me this?” - “Sure! :) “. On the other way, business graduates tends to have conflicts because of their ego : “I want people to follow my way, my vision”.
God gives us people to Love and things to use, not things to love and people to use.
As I discover through years, ego is the thing that really kills everything.
But hopefully, I was very happy to discover Kevin’s life, where he brought me to his house in LA, the place where he takes care of other people.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
- Matthew 5:9
During the road to the airport, he gave me a book call “Pho for life”, which I had the chance to read a bit about, especially Quyen Ngo’s sharing. It made me realize how it can be important to seek out our own roots to know who we are. Reminds me of the dessert contest.
Believe in your roots to grow.

[Monday]
Back to Montreal. I miss California already. :(
I remember the dance for “You Lift Me Up” by The Afters during the training. When I saw the clip back home, I got tears on my eyes.
Click here to watch it
Never become mad or hurt that someone has not accepted your kindness. We may never see the influence of our kindness but the seed was planted!
Finally...my grace? It’s confirmed, I want to be an inspiring leader for the youth...since...I’ve changed... :)
“Go forth and set the world on fire!”
- St. Ignatius of Loyola

▪ ▪ ▪

See Pictures:
http://dh-online.smugmug.com/Events/2012/SEED-Summit-2012/22217469_wQ6kH5#!i=1774316524&k=rrvSQQ4

No comments:

Post a Comment